Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Farmer's Market, Bruschetta with fig, goat cheese and prosciutto


Working in a town "off the mountain", as we Boone locals like to refer to anywhere that does not encompass our sanctuary filled with cool mountain breezes and pine-scented air, I decided to visit the Hickory farmers market. I often spend an hour or so of a lazy Saturday morning at my local market in Boone. However, the thought of checking out an unfamiliar spectacle of fruits and vegetables filled me with excitement. I could almost picture myself riding my red bicycle with the basket in front down the cobblestone street past the cathedral and into the piazza.
Oh wait, I am not in Italy today, so I must drive my car to the town square in Hickory, where sellers of delightful, fresh morsels set up shop under white tents. I am surprised to find a familiar face...it's the lady who serves up samples of freshly made goat cheese infused with herbs at my local market. She's always smiling and today is no different. I wander over to her table, anticipating what will soon envelope my taste buds...a little bit of perfection. Although I have sampled all the flavors numerous times, I allow myself the pleasure of indulging in the rosemary flavored cheese today. It's better than I remember (this often happens) and the refreshing blend of tangy coolness is much appreciated in the 98 degree heat. I decide to take an 8-ounce container home with me and immediately begin daydreaming about returning to my land of cool mountain breezes, sitting out on my deck and enjoying the cheese. But with what should I accompany my creamy, rosemary-scented treat?
As I continue sweating, shopping and then sweating some more, I buy a few other items and decide to retreat to the airconditioning of my car. Just as I turn the corner at the stand by the exit, something catches my eye. It's a glorious, green container, overflowing with ripe figs. It takes me a moment to register that this is indeed the fruit of a fig tree. I have never seen this at my local market. Because of the climate differences between Hickory and Boone, this is most certainly the reason. However, at this point, I am not really interested in why these figs are here, but rather, in taking them home with me. For anyone who has never eaten a fresh fig, it tastes like a cross between a strawberry and a peach. And, it is divine. I pay $4 for a large basket and leave the market, smiling, just like the goat cheese lady.
Once I return to my car and am certain a heatstroke is not imminent, I begin my drive back to the office. Combinations of figs and goat cheese permeate my thoughts: figs topped with goat cheese and honey, grilled figs with balsamic glaze, fig tart (oh wait, I am not good at baking) and then clarity amidst the chaos in my head. Bruschetta with Figs, Goat Cheese and Prosciutto.
This is about as simple as it gets and is prefect for a summer day.

Cut 1-inch slices from a french baguette
Rub bread with raw garlic clove, cut in half and drizzle with olive oil (For more garlic flavor, rub bread with garlic after toasting). Toast in a 300 degree oven for about 10 min or until desired crunchiness.
Spread a thin layer of cheese onto the bread.
Slice a washed fig in half lenghtwise. Place on bread.
Add a slice of thin prosciutto.

Enjoy this with a chilled Pinto Grigio.

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Carley! Way to go! I look forward to reading more so keep'em coming! -- Kim

    ReplyDelete